- Dentures should be cleaned daily with soap/denture cleaning paste and a toothbrush/soft nailbrush.
- Clean your tongue and roof of your mouth with a soft toothbrush
- Put your dentures in cold water when they are out of your mouth to prevent warping. Soak them in specialist cleaner.
- Partial dentures should be removed after eating and rinsed under cold water.
- If your partial denture has a metal clasp, do not use any cleaning agents containing bleach.
- Don't forget to clean and floss your remaining teeth using a soft/medium toothbrush and flouride toothpaste.
- Don't wear your dentures 24 hours a day. This helps to prevent fungal infections.
- If you get an ulcer/sore in your mouth that does not heal within two weeks, see your dentist
- Visit your dentist regularly, even if you have no teeth of your own, to ensure your mouth and gums stay healthy
For more information click here
Oral Health Matters booklet on Denture Care was produced by the Oral Health Promotion Team, Dental Service, LHO Cavan/Monaghan, Meath & Louth, HSE (Dublin North East) 2008.